Health Assessment & Promotion
Welcome to Office of Epidemiology & Statistics
What is Epidemiology & Statistics?
Epidemiology – the study of the distribution and determinants of health-related states in specified populations, and the application of this study to control health problems
Statistics – the science that deals with the collection, analysis, and interpretation of numerical facts or data.
Our mission is to provide epidemiological data support, data analysis to promote the health of DeKalb County residents and to prevent, detect, control and investigate potentially infectious diseases and clusters of illness, excluding sexually transmitted, HIV/AIDS, and tuberculosis.
The Office of Epidemiology and Statistics works in collaboration with the Offices of Environmental Health, Injury Prevention as well as many other DeKalb County Board of Health and community partners.
Ongoing activities for OES include:
- Follow-up of selected infectious/notifiable disease that must be reported to the Board of Health by law.
- Investigator of outbreaks and clusters of disease.
- Monitoring notifiable disease reports for trends or clustering, and investigating for possible commonalities.
- Education of public, partners and Board of Health staff on infectious diseases.
- Publish health reports and fact sheets.
- Provide data and statistics to internal and external partners.
- Investigate foodborne illness complaints and outbreaks.
For more information please call 404-508-7851.