ACCESSING A BIRTH CERTIFICATE
Birth certificates are available for Georgia births from 1919 to the present. Access to a birth record is limited to:
- The person named on the certificate.
- A parent named on the certificate.
- A grandparent of the person named on the certificate.
- An adult sibling of the person named on the certificate.
- An adult child of the person named on the certificate.
- The spouse of the person named on the certificate.
- The legal guardian of the person named on the certificate.
- The legal representative of the person named on the certificate.
- An individual empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on the person's behalf.
You will be required to enter the following information about the person whose birth certificate you are requesting:
- First name.
- Last name.
- Month, day and year of birth.
- Mother's first name.
- Mother's maiden last name.
You will be required to upload a copy of your official photo identification (ID) as a pdf, jpg, jpeg or png file.
The following are official photo IDs:
- State of Georgia driver's license.
- Photo ID card issued by a government agency.
- Photo ID card issued by an employer.
- Photo ID card issued by a college or university.
- Resident Alien Card (Form I-551 issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services).
- Temporary Resident Alien Card (Form I-668 issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services).
- Government passport issued by a country.
- Military ID card issued by the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Matricula card.
A SWORN STATEMENT IS REQUIRED FROM ONLINE, EMAIL, MAIL AND FAX CUSTOMERS
AN ADDITIONAL DOCUMENT MAY BE REQUIRED
If you are ordering a birth certificate online or by email, mail or fax, you must submit a sworn statement with the order form.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE SWORN STATEMENT.
If you are ordering the birth certificate of a person other than yourself or your child, an additional document is required. See the table below.
The document must be a pdf, jpg, jpeg or png file.
|If your relationship|
to the person
named on the certificate is . . .
|You must provide . . .|
|A grandparent||The birth certificate of your child who is the parent of the person|
(age 18 or over)
|Your birth certificate showing at least one parent in common with the person|
(age 18 or over)
|Your birth certificate showing the person is your parent|
|The spouse||Your marriage license, a notarized letter of permission or a notarized power of attorney|
|The temporary or permanent legal guardian||A court order or other legal documentation proving custody|
|The attorney serving as a temporary or permanent legal representative||A letter on your law firm’s letterhead stating that you have been retained to serve as the person’s legal representative|
|The individual or agency representative empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on the person’s behalf||A court order or other legal documentation proving representative status|
PURCHASING A BIRTH CERTIFICATE
Georgia law requires payment before a service can be provided.
The fee for a birth record search is $25.
If the record is found, the first copy of the certificate is free.
Additional copies can be ordered at the same time for $5 each.
A $5 handling and processing fee will be charged to this order.
Certificates are sent via the U.S. Postal Service by first class mail.
All fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
*All payments will be processed through PayPal. PayPal accepts all major credit cards.*
Do not view this form using Internet Explorer. Please use Chrome or another browser to process your online order.